Thursday, December 9, 2010

Accomplishing


I’m trying to get things accomplished.  I called Santa Cruz County Recorders office to make sure I send enough money & fill out the form correctly to get a certified copy of the quit claim deed for the land in Arizona.  Stupid land – it’s the reason that I’ll have to probate the estate.  Grrr.

Course, I’m kicking myself for not getting this land into my name in Oct when my mother said that she was done fighting.  Per atty, it could cost me like $1k to get it over into my name / through probate.  *grrrr*  Same with the title to her car (though that won’t cost much money or issue w/ probate & probably won’t have needed to be probated if it weren’t for that stupid land).  Why didn’t I take care of this stuff in Oct – would have saved me time, money & sanity if I had just taken care of it back then.  *sigh* 

At least I’ve got the check in the mail for that.  Left a msg for the Assessor’s office to try & find out what the true market value of the land is since we all know that true market value is not what’s on the tax bill.  Hoping they can help me, otherwise, I’ll email a Realtor down there & see what she says. 

It doesn’t make much difference to me what the land is worth, but sounds like it might make a difference for probate.  I’m still going to sell the land as quickly as I can & get rid of it.  Not sure what my parent’s were thinking when they bought it.  My mom said they bought it & talked of retiring down there.  I find that hard to believe.  It’s like 10 miles from the Mexican border.  I can’t imagine my dad living that close to the border.  Mr. Grew Up on a Farm in a Small Hick Town that didn’t have a stoplight or a “non-white” person in it.  Living in Mad City & Western Publishing Town expanded his horizons, I know, but still….I’m sure he had deep roots in  his preference towards white people.  Not saying he was KKK material, but old-fashioned in his thinking.  Heck, even I don’t want to be that close to the border, living, ever again.  3 months was enough for me, thank you very much.  Perhaps in a “snow bird neighborhood” it wouldn’t be too bad, but I’ll likely not put myself in the position to find that out. 

I have a TON of magazines that I need to contact to get the subscriptions stopped.  I just don’t feel like it though.  Even though I know dealing with them is probably the easiest of all the issues, I just don’t feel like it.  Same with canceling her credit cards – I need to just to it, but no motivation.

Today, I’m leaving early to go open the estate bank account.  Hopefully that is easy.  Need to move the POD account into my name too – not sure if I’ll leave it open there or take a check over to my credit union or what I’ll do quite yet with it.  Suppose I’ll leave it open there a bit longer to make sure all the checks have cleared.  Eventually I’ll need to figure out what to do with it, along w/ the life insurance money (once I get it).  I want to park the money someplace in the short-term, just don’t know where.  I know I don’t want to do anything w/ the money for at least 6 months…just to get my head cleared out, etc.  At least that’s what everyone seems to say on money msg boards – just sit on the money for 6-12 months to get settled back into your life & figure out what you really want to do with your life / money / etc.  Course, I just realized that I don't have a death certificate with me (a bad copy of one) - hope that's not an issue. 

Still have to figure out what I’m going to do with the inherited Roth IRA.  I can either take minimum distributions on it for my life or take all the money out in 5 yrs.  I’m not sure which would be better.  I can take more than the minimum distributions too.  So I could take like $4,000 each year & then use that money to fund my own Roth.  But I’m not sure if there is any advantage (or disadvantage) to doing that.  Either way, I have a Roth filled with the same money.

No comments:

Post a Comment